Friday, September 5, 2014

Not in time

I have been relatively quiet these few days because I have dived into a book - Not in time


It's a suspense novel related to art history, and part of the story was set in Paris (which were the reasons why I got the book). I have to say the amazon reviews are confusing. If you're looking for something like Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", you'll be disappointed. I am always impressed with Dan Brown's thorough research on everything he wrote. However, half of the artworks quoted in this book were imaginary. But I don't think it's fair to compare Shawna Seed to Dan Brown because, if you don't already know, his wife is an art historian and painter, who co-writes almost all of his novels. 2 brains work better than one, true? (Guys, marry someone smart!)

In a smart way, Shawna Seed worked around this by adding more elements in the book to keep the readers happy: a little bit of mystery, a great deal of romance, and very likable characters who you can easily relate to. I actually see a lot of myself in Gen, the main character in the book, who is quiet, shy, self-conscious, socially awkward, mentally active, loves art, adores Paris, admires impressionists, loves cats, always blushes at the wrong time (and hates it), eats standing up in the kitchen (lol)... You can now probably see why I love this book so much. It's funny, and almost miraculous, how it powerfully resonates with me.

"So what do you love about art?"

"I like the way you can look at something an artist created hundreds of years ago, something that captures a moment of life, and that moment can still feel real centuries later. Passion, love, loss... So much of the world feels temporary, but a really great piece of art is timeless"

SPOT. ON.


No comments:

Post a Comment